Next ZFSv28 patchset ready for testing.

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Sun Jan 16 16:37:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:07:10 +0100
Martin Matuska <mm at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> To use with newer stable (or releng/8.2) use a more recent patch from:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v28/
>
> Cheers,
> mm
>
> Dňa 14.01.2011 18:19, Christopher J. Ruwe  wrote / napísal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to test Martin Matuskas patch for ZFS v28 against
> > stable. Can I patch against any stable (like stable of today) or
> > does it necessarily need to be the stable-tree of the date
> > specified in the patch-file?
> >
> > If the latter should be true, how do I obtain a stable tree of any
> > given date?
> >
> > Thanks for any help, kind regards,

Thank you all for your help so far. I have successfully patched the
tree from date=2010.12.19.13.00.00 with the patch from Dec 18th as a
starter and compiled the kernel and world without errors. With these, I
have upgraded a zpool, which resides on a geli encrypted hd-partition
and on which I have the homes, /usr, /var and /tmp and /compat. I
upgraded the zfs as well. All is well so far and I have (apart from a
probably unrelated geli issue¹ I am having) not noticed anything
strange.

I have now two questions:

1) Am I correct, that before upgrading the rpool and zfs I am booting
from, I should run "gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i
1 ada0", if my freebsd-boot resides on the first gpt provider?

2) I noticed Martin Matuska's site patches more recent than Dec 18th,
but marked nopython. What do these mean and can/should I try these
also? I remember reading somewhere about this, but I cannot find
anymore.

¹
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-January/061098.html

Thank you all for your help, kind regards,
--
Christopher J. Ruwe
TZ GMT + 1