geli problems after installkernel & installworld

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Thu Jan 13 21:26:59 UTC 2011

I use a mostly geli encrypted hd on my Thinkpad R500,
with /compat, /usr, /tmp and /var all on the encrypted geli provider.

After an upgrade of kernel and world (STABLE), I experience a weird
issue: While booting, I am asked for the geli passphrase as usual.
Completing password authentication for geli returns a success message,

cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on motherboard
GEOM_ELI: Device ada0p3.eli created.
GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-CBC 256
GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software

however, the zpool on geli is unavailable.

Logging in a root, I can attach the geli provider manually as geli
itself should do from /etc/rc.conf. After a successful zfs mount -a, I
can resume as usual after manually starting the /usr/local/rc.d
services.

Neither have I noticed a change in the device names nor any unusual
messages from dmesg. Currently, I am doing a new compile run on world
and kernel to attempt anew tomorrow.

Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
--