Panic 8.2 PRERELEASE WRITE_DMA48

Tom Vijlbrief tom.vijlbrief at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 10 06:13:58 UTC 2011

2011/1/9 Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>:

> Not to get off topic, but what is causing this?  It looks like you have
> a cron job or something very aggressive doing a "smartctl -t short
> /dev/ad4" or equivalent.  If you have such, please disable this
> immediately.  You shouldn't be doing SMART tests with such regularity;
> it accomplishes absolutely nothing, especially the "short" tests.  Let
> the drive operate normally, otherwise run smartd and watch logs instead.

I have this default entry (from the author of that file) in
smartd.conf and enabled it on many machines over the years.
Is it a bad practice?

# First (primary) ATA/IDE hard disk.  Monitor all attributes, enable
# automatic online data collection, automatic Attribute autosave, and
# start a short self-test every day between 2-3am, and a long self test
# Saturdays between 3-4am.
/dev/hda -a -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

Thanks for all your feedback