ZFS - moving from a zraid1 to zraid2 pool with 1.5tb disks

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 10:50:11 UTC 2011

What I said was:

> >> Note: raidz2 on 4 disks doesn't really win you anything over 2 x mirror
> >> pairs of disks, and the RAID10 mirror is going to be rather more
performant.

> You said the effect were identical. they are not.

Which is certainly not saying the effects are identical.  It's saying
the difference is too small to worry about.

> Plus, honestly, the difference in performance between raidz and raid10
> is also close to bein insignificant.

That's not my experience.  It depends on what sort of workload you have.
 If you're streaming very large files, I'd expect RAID10 and RAIDz to be
about equal.  If you're doing lots of randomly distributed small IOs,
then RAID10 is going to win hands down.

	Cheers

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3