ZFS - benchmark & tuning before and after doubling RAM

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 22:02:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:

> I've been running a ZFS array for about 10 months on a system with 4GB of
> RAM.  I'm about to add another 4GB of RAM.
>
> I think this might be an opportune time to run some simple benchmarks and
> do some tuning.  Getting more out of the system is not a priority for me.
>  It does what I need now.  However, I do see some merit in writing something
> up for others to see/follow/learn.
>
> The system is running FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #1: Tue Nov 30 22:07:59 EST
> 2010 on a 64 bit box.  The ZFS array consists of 7x2TB commodity drives on
> two SiI3124 SATA controllers.  The OS runs off a gmirror RAID-1.
>
> More details here: http://www.freebsddiary.org/zfs-benchmark.php
>
> First, up, I've done a simple bonnie++ benchmark before I add more RAM.  I
> ran this on two different datasets; one with compression enabled, one
> without.
>
> If anyone has suggestions for various tests, option settings, etc, I'm
> happy to run them and include the results.  We have lots of time to play
> with this.
>
> --
> Dan Langille - http://langille.org/

I think , you know the following pages :

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/zfstestsuite
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/test/downloads/current/
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+testing/testsuites
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+testing/zones

Some of the links may disappear spontaneously because of restructuring of
their respective sites .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk