ZFS - moving from a zraid1 to zraid2 pool with 1.5tb disks

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 7 02:24:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 05:42:49PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:29:17PM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > On 6 January 2011 22:26, Chris Forgeron <cforgeron at acsi.ca> wrote:
> > > You know, these days I'm not as happy with SSD's for ZIL. I may blog about some of the speed results I've been getting over the last 6mo-1yr that I've been running them with ZFS. I think people should be using hardware RAM drives. You can get old Gigabyte i-RAM drives with 4 gig of memory for the cost of a 60 gig SSD, and it will trounce the SSD for speed.
> > >
> > > I'd put your SSD to L2ARC (cache).
> >
> > Where do you find those though.
> >
> > I've looked and looked and all references I could find was that
> > battery-powered RAM card that Sun used in their test setup, but it's
> > not publicly available..
>
> DDRdrive:
>   http://www.ddrdrive.com/
>   http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/ddrdrives-ram-based-ssd-is-snappy-costly/
>
> ACard ANS-9010:
>   http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255

There is also

https://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/07042003/hardware.htm

which I believe is a rebadged ACard drive.  They should be SATA-300, but
the test results I saw were not that impressive to be honest.  I think
whatever FPGA they use for the SATA interface and DRAM controller is
either underpowered or the gate layout needs work.

Regards,

Gary