NFS - DNS fail stops boot in mountlate

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 02:19:07 UTC 2011

So what was unclear?

mount_nfs emits a nonzero exit status upon failing to look
up an FQDN causing mountlate to trigger a dump to shell
on boot during rc processing. That's a *showstopper*. The
right thing to do is to hack mount_nfs to punt to background
mounting in this case with an appropriate exit status.

Personally I'd distinguish mount_nfs exit codes between:
0 - mounted
1 - backgrounded, for any reason
2 - none of the above
and adjust the rc's to deal with it accordingly.

Words are subject to interpretation and take time. Though
perhaps masked by brevity, I believe all the above elements
were in the prior concise post. Thanks everybody :)