ZFS - moving from a zraid1 to zraid2 pool with 1.5tb disks

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Jan 6 14:13:25 UTC 2011

For pure storage, that is a place you send/store files, you don't really
need the ZIL. You also need the L2ARC only if you read over and over
again the same dataset, which is larger than the available ARC (ZFS
cache memory). Both will not be significant for 'backup server'
application, because it's very unlikely to do lots of SYNC I/O (where
separate ZIL helps), or serve the same files back (where the L2ARC might
help).

You should also know that having large L2ARC requires that you also have
larger ARC, because there are data pointers in the ARC that point to the
L2ARC data. Someone will do good to the community to publish some
reasonable estimates of the memory needs, so that people do not end up
with large but unusable L2ARC setups.

It seems that the upcoming v28 ZFS will help greatly with the ZIL in the
main pool..

You need to experiment with the L2ARC (this is safe with current v14 and
v15 pools) to see if your usage will see benefit from it's use.
Experimenting with ZIL currently requires that you recreate the pool.
With the experimental v28 code things are much easier.