NFSv4 - how to set up at FreeBSD 8.1 ?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jan 6 12:59:09 UTC 2011

> Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>
> > Sun did add a separate file locking protocol called the NLM
> > or rpc.lockd if you prefer, but that protocol design was
> > fundamentally flawed imho and, as such, using it is in the
> > "your mileage may vary" category.
>
> I suppose it was not all that bad, considering that what it sought
> to accomplish is incomputable. There is simply no way for either
> the server or the client to distinguish between "the other end has
> crashed" and "there is a temporary communication failure" until the
> other end comes back up or communication is restored.

Yep. The blocking lock operation is also a trainwreck looking for a
place to happen, imho. (In the NLM, the client can do an RPC that says
"get a lock, waiting as long as necessary for it, and then let me know".)

> On a good day, in a completely homogeneous environment (server and
> all clients running the same OS revision and patchlevel), I trust
> lockd about as far as I can throw 10GB of 1980's SMD disk drives :)

Heh, heh. For those too young to have had the priviledge, a 1980s SMD
drive was big and HEAVY. I just about got a hernia every time one had
to go in a 19inch rack. You definitely didn't throw them far:-)

> Exporting /var/spool/mail read/write tends to ensure that good days
> will be rare. Been there, done that, seen the result. Never again.
> That's what IMAP is for.

Great post. I couldn't have said it as well, rick