8.2-RELEASE - gmirror and gpart issue. Metadata overlap?

Marin Atanasov Nikolov dnaeon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:23:12 UTC 2011

2011/2/28 Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher at yandex.ru>:
> On 28.02.2011 11:54, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> I opened a discussion on this before the release.
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-January/061184.ht
>> ml
>> On my 8.1 system, i get this message about the corrupt headers, but it
>> booted on the 8.2 system it panics...
>>
>> I think a lot of people are going to get bit by this.
>>
>> As far as i know there is no warning anywhere that you can not use gpart
>> and gmirror the whole disk.

I can confirm as well that I get kernel panic  if I gpart and then
gmirror a disk on 8.2-RELEASE.

To reproduce it, I just did the following:

1) Boot a system with a Fixit image
2) Remove all gpart partitions
3) gpart the first disk (ad0)
4) Restored my data to the partitions from backups
5) Reboot
6) gmirror the ad0 disk

And that's where I got kernel panic.

gpart'ing the disk and the mirroring the partitions works just as
fine, but not when you mirror the whole disk.

Regards,
Marin

--
Marin Atanasov Nikolov