8.2/7.4-RELEASEs Announced...

jhelfman at e-e.com jhelfman at e-e.com
Fri Feb 25 18:03:41 UTC 2011

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:42:25PM +0100, Marco van Tol wrote:
>>
>> Read up on the mergemaster manual for options "-F" and "-i" :-)
>
>   freebsd-update does not use mergemaster, though probably it should.

My understanding is that freebsd-update was introduced prior to releases
being branched, so this issue surfaced at that time. The patch I believe
would be a fix to the freebsd-update client to better handle the tag. I
can't see mergemaster as being an easier solution, as the actual binary
would need to be verified against a known good index that would exist on the
update server.

But then, again, I may be wrong.

> We had this discussion a month or two ago.

Do you have a link to this thread?