urtw0: could not allocate USB transfers

Etienne Robillard erob at gthcfoundation.org
Fri Feb 25 10:03:06 UTC 2011

On 25/02/11 04:11 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2011 21:51:23 joseph wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i decided to get my laptop wlan via usb because my internal device isn't
>> supported yet.
>> The usb device is a logilink WL0006 unit its vendorid is 0x0bda and the
>> productid says 0x8187.
>> My search results say that this device depends on a RTL8187 chipset.
>> I tried both, load the kernel module at boot time and compile kernel
>> withe urtw, but i get the same output at dmesg
>>
>> device_attach: urtw0 attach returned 6
>> urtw0: <vendor 0x0bda product 0x8187, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2>
>> on usbus3
>> urtw0: could not allocate USB transfers, err=USB_ERR_NO_PIPE
>> device_attach: urtw0 attach returned 6
>>
>> im running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p2 amd64.
>>
>> What might be the reason for this error?
>> Thanks for all hints.
>>
> Well, I have no clue about USB.. but this smells like one of the
> endpoints is 'not there'. At least I can't find any reference to
> it in the Linux driver. Wanna give attached patch a shot?

Hi Bernard,

For rt287x based cards, you can try using rt28700 chipset instead of
urtw0 on
FreeBSD 8.

The former is not in the stable src tree, but could be retrieved from here:

https://gthc.org/distfiles/freebsd/rt2870_fbsd8.tar.gz

Any takers to make module rt28700 (if_rt2870) officially part of the
FreeBSD src tree?

Thanks,

Etienne

--
Etienne Robillard

Company: Green Tea Hackers Club
Occupation: Software Developer (and CEO)
E-mail:     erob at gthcfoundation.org
Work phone: 450-936-2123
Website (Company):  https://gthc.org/
Website (Blog):     https://gthc.org/blog/
PGP public key fingerprint:    F2A9 32EA 8E7C 460F 1728  A1A7 649C 7F17 A086 DDEC

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy