vlandev interface up on start up

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Feb 21 07:32:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 09:40:13AM +0300, alexs at ulgsm.ru wrote:
> if in rc.conf
> cloned_interfaces="vlan66"
> ifconfig_vlan66="inet 192.168.66.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 vlan 66 vlandev em0"
>
> When statun em0 is active, status vlan66 is active,
>  but packets are silently drop.
>

> it is need to add in rc.conf
> ifconfig_em0="up"
>
> Or make ifconfig em0 up by hand.
>
> It it rigth to patch rc scrits somewhere in vlan creating?

Have you looked at /etc/defaults/rc.conf, specifically the variables
"vlans_XXX" and "create_args_vlanX" (where XXX is a NIC interface name),
to see if there is already existing support for what you need?

Just 'grep vlan /etc/defaults/rc.conf' to see what I'm taking about.

Also, comment in passing: with regards to the ifconfig_XXX="up", this is
pretty common when it comes to things like bridging and so on.  I ran
into this situation myself a few weeks ago when playing with bridging.