statd/lockd startup failure

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Feb 20 01:48:28 UTC 2011

Hi--

On Feb 19, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Well, that was what I was proposing. I could be wrong, but as far as I
> know, this is allowed by Sun RPC. The port#s are assigned dynamically and
> registered with rpcbind. (I don't necessarily agree with the design, but
> this was/is how Sun RPC does it. The philosophy was/is that apps. don't know
> what port# is being used and shouldn't care. If sysadmins want to use a
> fixed port#, they can use command line options to override the default
> dynamic assignment. And, yes, this is one reason that Sun RPC is a pita
> w.r.t. firewalls. 1980s design...)

Trying to force SunRPC and old NFS through fixed ports in order to pass through a firewall sounds like a lot more work, and weakens the security of a firewall to such a significant extent that I have to wonder if it is the right problem to solve.  :-)

Why not setup a VPN via OpenVPN/IPSec/ssh+ppp/etc...?

Regards,
--
-Chuck