hold-on at 'Entropy harvesting' afer upgrading to 8.1

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Feb 17 18:39:13 UTC 2011

> From: Ken Chen <ken73.chen at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 01:12:13 +0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> I have tried. It can not be interrupted by CTRL-C.
>
> 2011/2/17 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us>
>
> > Ok, likely you can bypass the problem by hitting Ctrl-C.
> >
> > Once you get kernel and userland updated make sure that you get /etc/
> > updated as well and you should be fine.
> >

> > hth,
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > On 02/16/2011 23:24, Ken Chen wrote:
> >
> >> It's first reboot with 8.1 kernel.
> >>
> >> nextboot -k GENERIC
> >> shutdown -r now
> >>

> >> 2011/2/17 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us <mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>>
> >>

> >>    On 02/16/2011 21:56, Ken Chen wrote:
> >>
> >>        Hello All,
> >>
> >>        I upgrade a very old machine from 6.3-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE by
> >>        'freebsd-update'. After boot with 8.1 GENERIC kernel, it holds-on
> >> at
> >>        ''Entropy harvesting: '. I try to change configuration in
> >>        /etc/defaults/rc.conf, it helpless.
> >>

> >>    Did you update /etc after updating the binaries, or is this the
> >>    first reboot after freebsd-update installs the new kernel?

While the last message to appear is "Entropy harvesting:", that may or
may not be the cause of the hang. It really should continue after a ^C
if that was the issue.

Can you try a ^T to see what is really running? Or, if that does not
tell you, try adding rc_debug="YES" to rc.conf. This will produce a LOT
of output, but you probably are only interested in the end of it.

Doug is WAY better at the rc issues than I am, but at least this should
provide a bit more information.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)