statd/lockd startup failure

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Feb 17 03:29:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:46:37PM -0500, Michael Proto wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM,  <george+freebsd at m5p.com> wrote:
> > Under 8.2-PRERELEASE (GENERIC kernel), about 15% of the times I boot up
> > (with rpc.statd and rpc.lockd enabled in rc.conf), I get:
> >
> > Feb  4 07:31:11 wonderland rpc.statd: bindresvport_sa: Address already in use
> > Feb  4 07:31:11 wonderland root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start statd
> >
> > and slightly later:
> >
> > Feb  4 07:31:36 wonderland kernel: NLM: unexpected error contacting NSM, stat=5, errno=35
> >
> > I can start rpc.statd and rpc.lockd manually at this point (and I have to
> > start them to run firefox and mail with my NFS-mounted home directory and
> > mail spool).  But what might cause the above errors?   -- George Mitchell

> Don't rpc.statd and lockd try to choose a random port upon startup? I
> seem to remember a similar problem I had a long time ago. I opted to
> use a consistent, not-used port and haven't seen the problem since
> (this was years ago, so I can't remember if the error you're seeing
> was identical to mine).
>
> /etc/rc.conf:
> rpc_statd_flags="-p 898"
> rpc_lockd_flags="-p 4045"

Yes, this is correct.  The NLM error is probably related to the previous
errors (possibly due to firewall rule entries, or something that already
had bound the port).  Some RPC services can be bound to a random port
number by default, and on occasion during a reboot two things will try
to map to the same port number.  It's very annoying when it happens.
Running "rpcinfo" on the machine can help determine what's bound to
what.

Locking down the port numbers as you showed is the best choice, plus
allows for proper firewall rules to be added.  However, be aware not all
daemons support this.  Reliable firewall rules for NFS = good luck.