ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Wed Feb 16 00:19:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, February 15, 2011 4:05 pm, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Chris H wrote:
>

>> On Tue, February 15, 2011 12:21 pm, Warren Block wrote:
>>
>>> So many people were using AEI that I decided to write an article about
>>> it: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html
>>>
>> Fun reading, thanks for sharing. :)
>>

> Thanks!
>

>> purely a question of semantics; I notice you consistently use "On" || "Off"
>> Xorg(1) -configure emits "true"||"false"
>> Do you, or anyone else know conclusively whether it's simply a matter of:
>> or is it /only/ one, or more of the above pairs? Just curious.
>
> "On" and "Off" are more readable to me, but you can use any of those.  See
> % man xorg.conf | less +/Boolean
>

>> In your defense to an earlier comment I made; it essentially /is/
>> a "crap shoot" when it comes to setting up Xorg(1). While Xorg(1) -configure is
>> intended to get a "functional" version of X(7) up, and running. Hardware, is
>> not Hardware, is not Hardware. So a lot of "trial, and error" /will/ be
>> required to obtain an "optimal" X(7) environment for a specific combination of
>> hardware. :)
>
> Agreed, particularly for older hardware like this Dell 4300 with a
> GeForce 440 card in it.
Well, the box I'm writing this message from is running a
G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] + 3Gb videoram, while not the "latest and greatest", it
isn't really "legacy" either. I was /sure/ it'd be a "snap" to setup, but
while "functional", it isn't the optimal experience I had hoped for.

I guess that's the price one pays for choosing a "closed source" piece of
hardware. :(

--Chris