ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 15 08:17:01 UTC 2011

On 02/14/11 19:21, Ted Faber wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:52:43PM -0800, Chris H wrote:
>> I noticed a potential issue in the output of your attached Xorg.conf.
>
> Can you tell me what looked fishy?  I'm happy to poke it it.
>
>> Bottom line (for me anyway) has been that if I disable hald(8), I have nearly
>> no (video related) issues. This is both on x86&&  amd64 systems.
>
> When I turn off hald, X xan no longer find the mouse and keyboard.  I
> can probably hard wire them down, but I get the impression that lots of
> other gnome-ish things will get confused w/o hald.

I have a same issue on two different boxes with three different AMD
HD4XXX graphics boards and radeon/radeonhd driver (running FBSD 9.0-CUR,
8.1 and 8.2-STABLE, all mad64). I reported this phenomenon here, it is
still present. With HALD and DBUS enabled and an automatic generated
xorg.conf file only HD4830 works, but it locks up/freezes the box when
exiting Xorg/xdm.
With HD4770 and HD4670, only hardwiring keyboard and mouse, disabling
HALD and DBUS works, otherwise the Xorg server freezes the box
immediately after starting. Also, with the hardwireddown xorg.conf file,
exiting a session/resetting Xorg renders the box frozen.

Oliver