ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Feb 14 22:35:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Chris H wrote:

> I'm /not/ on a GENERIC kernel, but here are some relevant pieces from
> my setup that might help;
> rc.conf(5)
> hald_enable="NO"
> dbus_enable="YES"

Half a dozen machines here (roughly, it varies) say that hal is fine.
One of those machines is a T42, but needs updating to the latest
8-stable.  Apparently I put the significant files on the FLCL site a
while back:
http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/index.html?action=show_laptop_detail&laptop=12947

> xorg.conf(5)
> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
> 	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> 	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option	"AllowEmptyInput"	"false"

No, please stop doing that.  See
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

> 	Option	"AutoAddDevices"	"true"
> 	Option	"AutoEnableDevices" "true"

These are defaults.

> OH, one other thing that comes to mind;
> Did you let Xorg(1) create your xorg.conf(8) file? and if so (you /should/ have),
> what was the output? Again, if so, is that the conf file you're using now?

Sorry, must disagree with that.  -configure creates outmoded xorg.conf
files, with older options that are either no longer needed or outright
obsolete.  It also leaves out useful settings.