8.2-PRERELEASE generating warnings re my hard drive

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 00:37:08 UTC 2011

I'm running 8-STABLE, i386 architecture, and yesterday I updated to the
latest version with cvsup.

After installing the kernel and rebooting, I see the following messages on the console:

ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE requeued due to channel reset
ad4: interrupt on idle channel ignored
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE requeued due to channel reset
ad4: interrupt on idle channel ignored

(repeated several times, and then the following:)

ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
ad4: 238475MB <Seagate ST3250410AS 3.AAF> at ata2-master UDMA100 SATA 1.5Gb/s

(shortly afterwards, I see this:)

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
ad4: WARNING - READ_DMA requeued due to channel reset LBA=33963227
ata2: FAILURE - already active DMA on this device
ata2: setting up DMA failed
g_vfs_done():ad4s1f[READ(offset=12103825408, length=2048)]error = 5
ad4: WARNING - READ_DMA requeued due to channel reset LBA=705199
ata2: FAILURE - already active DMA on this device
ata2: setting up DMA failed

(which then repeats many times with different LBA and offset values.)