ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Sat Feb 12 06:52:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, February 11, 2011 11:12 am, Ted Faber wrote:
> For the last couple weeks (maybe more) I've been having an intermittent
> problem on my Thinkpad T42 where exiting X causes my screen to lock up and the
> system seems to stop doing anything.  Lately it's happening about every 3rd
> time.
>
> The usual failure mode is that I select shutdown from the gnome menu and
> it logs out with the console showing (text mode), but non responsive. The disk
> LED lights intermittently, as can the LAN LED (though sometimes
> it comes on solid).  Sometimes it sort of shakes itself awake after a minute or
> so, but often the shutdown doesn't complete and I have to force a power cycle
> and fsck everything.
>
> I don't get anything useful in /var/log/messages
>

> I run a recent -STABLE
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD praxis.lunabase.org 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #62: Sun Feb
> 6 18:02:17 PST 2011 root at praxis.lunabase.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>

> I've attached a verbose boot dmesg and my xorg.conf, and the
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log from a login.
>

> Any help would be great.
I noticed a potential issue in the output of your attached Xorg.conf.
But as I don't have an immediate solution for that, I /will/ offer you some
advice based on my experiences with recent versions of Xorg(1) on nVidia based
cards. All the docs will advise the following two entries in your rc.cconf(5):

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

However, _unless_ I use the following, I will _always_ run into some sort of
problem;

hald_enable="NO"
dbus_enable="YES"

I have no idea what's going on with hald(8), but frankly, it appears nothing.
Research on forums related to issues on nVidia & ATI video cards have many
threads that ultimately point at issues using hald(8).

Bottom line (for me anyway) has been that if I disable hald(8), I have nearly
no (video related) issues. This is both on x86 && amd64 systems.

HTH

--Chris