em0 hangs without any messages like "Watchdog timeout", only down/up reset it.

Lev Serebryakov lev at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 7 12:52:06 UTC 2011

Hello, Mike.
You wrote 7 февраля 2011 г., 15:22:11:

>>   It hangs under load without any output. When it works with POLLING, it
>> prints "Watchdog timeout" and reset automatically several times a day,
>> but without POLLING it simply hangs with same frequency. It is
>> 8.2-PRERELEASE (from RELENG_8), cvsupped AFTER 22 Jan (last commit to
>> e1000 drivers family).
>>
>>   Locally system works, but mbufs are overfilled. "ifconfig em0 down
>> && ifconfig em0 up" solves problem.
> In non polling mode, do you have any special network or driver settings
> in /boot/loader.conf or /etc/sysctl.conf ?

/boot/loader.conf:
hw.em.rxd=4096
hw.em.txd=4096
net.link.ifqmaxlen=16384

/etc/sysctl.conf:
dev.em.0.rx_int_delay=200
dev.em.0.tx_int_delay=200
dev.em.0.rx_abs_int_delay=4000
dev.em.0.tx_abs_int_delay=4000
dev.em.0.rx_processing_limit=4096

   I'm trying to run with patch from "em driver, 82574L chip, and
 possibly ASPM" thread now under heavy network load.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru>