8.1 amd64 lockup (maybe zfs or disk related)

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Feb 7 04:55:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 01:01:14PM -0800, Greg Bonett wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am experiencing hard lockup when running 8.1-RELEASE amd64.  The last
> two times it has happened I was running a zpool scrub (high cpu and io
> load).  /var/log/messages has some errors looking like:
> kernel: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA4
>
> but these didn't seem to correspond to the exact time of the lockup.
>
> any suggestions?

Given that you're running 8.1-RELEASE, what sort of ZFS tunings are you
using in /boot/loader.conf?  Tuning is required on this version.

The ad0 READ_DMA48 errors could indicate you have a hard disk with bad
blocks or is going bad in a different manner.  Please install
ports/sysutils/smartmontools and provide output of "smartctl -a
/dev/ad0" here and I can help you determine that.