ACPI broke going from 8 to 9

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Dec 31 23:31:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 04:17:16PM -0700, Dan Allen wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2011, at 12:34 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
> > Not yet. Add 'nooptions NEW_PCIB' to your KERNCONF, recompile, and
> > try booting the new kernel. See if this works.
>
> It worked!  No hang, power button works.  Nice.  I hope this experimental option stays in.
>
> Thank you everyone for your help.  Happy New Years!

This option isn't documented **anywhere** in the entire src tree.  It's
purely #ifdef all over.

The code in question was committed 7 months ago.  It was MFC'd to
RELENG_8 6 months ago.  Here's the HEAD commit message:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/pci.c#rev1.420

The RELENG_8 MFC is revision 1.386.2.15.

The committer is jhb@, with mav@ being the individual who tested it, so
I imagine either of these folks will have some excellent insights as to
what's causing Dan's problem.  I'm CC'ing them both directly on this
thread.

In the meantime: Dan, when you say in your original mail, "I just
upgraded my Dell OptiPlex GX270 from RELENG_8 to RELENG_9", can you
please provide uname -a output from the system when it was running
RELENG_8?  I'm looking specifically for the exact time when the kernel
was built, because there may have been fixes (that broke things for you)
between the above commit and present-day RELENG_8 (I have not examined
all commits).

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |