9-RC3 VIMAGE on kvm DNS problem

mailintern at 123mail.org mailintern at 123mail.org
Fri Dec 30 14:52:01 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I've two problems running on 9-RC3 with a VIMAGE recompilied kernel
(both tested on 64- and 32-Bit versions). The whole is a vps on a
CentOS-6.2 kvm based virtualization by an hoster.

First: It's not running stable so far. Mostly after rebooting there is a
kernel panic as a result of pf incompabilities. I've read of some
successful installations but I' can't confirm that as far as my
configuration is concerned. It's based on serveral reinstallations and
the kernel problems remain the same.

Mostly after the 3rd reboot the kernel remains stable.

On the vps two vnets are running.

One the first is an OpenVPN server in combination with an Asterisk
server. This is the backward tunnel to my home office.  The Asterisk is
related to another tunnel to my VOIP-provider who has a Cisco router.
The client on my side is vpnc. The vnets are connected via epairs to a
bridge.

The second vnet has also OpenVPN running for another TPC/IP data stream.
All are in routed mode (dev tun).

After about 20 hours the DNS resolution *suddenly* stops for the main
vps and the two vnets.

So it's time for the next reboot …

For the first I would like to solve the DNS problem. I've tried
different name servers as well as an own bind server.

Any suggestions are highly welcomed.

Cheers,

Dave