stuck /etc/rc autoboot processes

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Dec 27 21:22:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 07:46:52PM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Yesterday and today, I've been busy either patching boxes for the BIND
> advisory that we received on the 23rd (when they were running 8.1 or
> 8.2-RELEASE), or upgrading them (when running 8.0-RELEASE).
>

> Today I've come across 2 boxes running 8.2-STABLE and of course, the
> BIND patch wouldn't apply correctly.
>
> I've decided to cvsup them to 8.2-RELEASE and "upgrade" them to it.

Why cvsup and not csup?

Secondly, and more importantly, when upgrading to a different tag (e.g.
you were using RELENG_8_0 before, moving to RELENG_8 or RELENG_8_2 --
you don't really explain in a coherent way what you did, you've
mentioned 4 different FreeBSD versions above :-) ), I tend to do the
following:

rm -fr /usr/obj/*
rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
rm -fr /usr/src/*
csup ...

The problem I've seen is that "some" source bits manage to figure out
that they need to be updated to a different version based on the release
tag in the cvsup/csup configuration file, but sometimes this doesn't
work quite right and the underlying source files in /usr/src end up
getting "mix-matched" between two versions.

You may want to do this for ports as well, e.g.:

rm -fr /var/db/sup/ports-all
rm -fr /usr/ports/*
csup ...

It gets more tricky assuming during your original FreeBSD installation
you chose to install src and ports.  The below is the cvsup FAQ, but it
applies to csup too.  Read items 11, 12, and 13.

http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt

Welcome to why I never bother to install src or ports from CD/DVD, I
simply use csup once the system is up.  And for changing tags/releases,
I do what's described above.

> I've gone through the following steps:
> - make buildworld
> - make buildkernel
> - make installkernel
> - nextboot -k my new kernel, to ensure it worked fine
> - rebooted again with the new kernel, this time correctly installed as
> /boot/kernel
> - installed the world
> - run mergemaster -FiPU
> - rebuild ports

This doesn't look correct.  The process you should be following is
documented plainly in /usr/src/Makefile.  You're missing some steps.

Try doing what I recommended above, and following what's in
/usr/src/Makefile, and then see if things improve.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |