emacs-devel glib-warning

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 22 18:28:42 UTC 2011

On Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:02:09 am 1126 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I considered switching from emacs23 to emacs24 over the
> christmas-holidays.. So I removed emacs23 and installed emacs-devel via
> ports. Emacs runs fine, in terminal, but it crashes my whole X-system when
> I try to start it as X-client... The error message tells me that there is
> a glib-problem: "GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status
> of a child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and
> ECHILD was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This
> is a bug in the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the
> exit status, or don't set the SIGCHLD action."

That is just a bug in emacs (or some library emacs is using).  It happens even
when emacs doesn't crash.  I suspect it is unrelated to the problem you are
having with your X server and that the crash is caused by something else emacs
is doing.  What do you mean in detail by "crashes my whole X-system".  Does X
actually core dump?  Does X freeze or spin using 100% CPU?  Does your window
manager crash, etc.?

One thing you can maybe try is building emacs without dbus or gconf and seeing
if that works better.

--
John Baldwin