FreeBSD 9 RC3 and VirtualBox

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Dec 21 20:53:11 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 2:22 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> I'm unable to install RC3 on VirtualBox, I receive the following error:
>
> CPU doesn't support long mode
>>
>> Consoles: internal video/keyboard
>> BIOS drive C: is disk0
>> BIOS 639kB/1047552kB available memory
>>
>> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>> (root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu, Sun Dec  4 07:50:52 UTC 2011)
>> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>> Guess BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>> FATAL: int13_harddisk: function 42. Can't use 64bits lba
>>

> I've tried a few different controller combinations (SAS/SATA/IDE), but none
> seem to fix the problem.
>
> Any help would be cool.

Actually, I got the same thing with RC3 the other day. But I went to try
again just now and it worked. I used FreeBSD-9.0-RC3-amd64-bootonly.iso
and it worked just fine. Since the first time I did install the latest
version of Virtual box so not sure what changed in there, or it was
something else. But the machine its on is running Windows 2008, so it
did support amd64 when I had the failure.

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, mike at sentex.net