SCHED_ULE should not be the default

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 18 10:34:41 UTC 2011

The trouble is that there's lots of anecdotal evidence, but noone's
really gone digging deep into _their_ example of why it's broken. The
developers who know this stuff don't see anything wrong. That hints to
me it may be something a little more creepy - as an example, the
interplay between netisr/swi/taskqueue/callbacks and such. It may be
that something is being starved that isn't obviously obvious. It's
just a stab in the dark, but it sounds somewhat plausible based on
what I've seen ULE do in my network throughput hacking.

I applaud reppie for trying to make it as easy as possible for people
to use KTR to provide scheduler traces for him to go digging with, so
please, if you have these issues and you can absolutely reproduce
them, please follow his instructions and work with him to get him what
he needs.

Adrian

(wow, lots of personal pronouns packed into one sentence. It must be
sleep time.)