SCHED_ULE should not be the default

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 17 21:20:46 UTC 2011

Erm, just as a random question - since device drivers (and GEOM) run
as separate threads, has anyone looked into what kind of effects the
scheduler has on these?

I definitely have measurable throughput/responsiveness differences
between ULE and 4BSD (and preempt/non-preempt on 4BSD) on my MIPS
boards when they're bridging traffic. I wonder if there's something
strange going on with the scheduling and preemption of driver netisrs,
taskqueues, the fast interrupt handlers, etc.

This may -not- be a userland specific problem..

Adrian