fsck_ufs out of swapspace

Michiel Boland boland37 at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 17 20:52:32 UTC 2011

FreeBSD 9.0-PRERELEASE locked up while into some heavy I/O and failed to shut
down properly, so I had to power-cycle. After it came back up it said

Starting file system checks:
** SU+J Recovering /dev/ada0a
** Reading 33554432 byte journal from inode 4.
swap_pager: out of swap space
swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
pid 67 (fsck_ufs), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
fsck: /dev/ada0a: Killed: 9
Script /etc/rc.d/fsck running
Unknown error; help!
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!

The only way to continue was to do a full fsck (with no journal)

This is a Sun Blade 100 (sparc64) with 768M of RAM.
So the fsck is taking up all of this? That can't be right.

What can I do to troubleshoot this further?

Cheers
Michiel