switching schedulers (Re: SCHED_ULE should not be the default)

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Dec 16 22:16:54 UTC 2011

Le 16 déc. 2011 à 22:51, Doug Barton a écrit :

> On 12/16/2011 13:40, Michel Talon wrote:
>> Adrian Chadd said:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can someone load a kernel module dynamically at boot-time?
>>>
>>> Ie, instead of compiling it in, can 4bsd/ule be loaded as a KLD at
>>> boot-time, so the user can just change by rebooting?
>>>
>>> That may be an acceptable solution for now.
>>
>> As Luigi explained, the problem is not to have code for both
>> schedulers residing in the kernel, the problem is to migrate
>> processes from one scheduler to the other.
>
> I think dynamically switching schedulers on a running system and loading
> one or the other at boot time are different problems, are they not?

Of course, you are perfectly right., and i had misunderstood Adrian's post.
But if the problem is only to change scheduler by rebooting,
i think it is no more expensive to compile a kernel with the other scheduler. Or is it that people
never compile kernels nowadays?  The ability to switch scheduler on a running machine
would certainly be a more desirable way to test the best adaptation of the system to the load.

To come back to the problems in question about ULE i must say i don't see obvious
malfunctions for my own use (i had some problems of this sort long ago, but they
disappeared with more recent FreeBSD).

--

Michel Talon
talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr