SCHED_ULE should not be the default

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 15 16:56:40 UTC 2011

2011/12/15 Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net>:
> On 12/15/2011 11:42 AM, Attilio Rao wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking now to a better test-case for this: can you try that on a
>> tmpfs volume?
>
> There is enough RAM in the box so that it should not touch the disk, and
> I was sending the output to /dev/null, so it was not writing to the disk.
>

>> Also what filesystem you were using?
>
> UFS
>
>> How many CPUs were in place?
>
> 4
>
>> Did you reboot before to move the steal_thresh value?
>
> No.

So, as very first thing, can you try the following:
- Same codebase, etc. etc.
- Make the test 4 times, discard the first and ministat for the other 3
- Reboot
- Change the steal_thresh value
- Make the test 4 times, discard the first and ministat for the other 3

Then report discarded values and the ministated one and we will have
more informations I guess
(also, I don't think devfs contention should play a role here, thus
nevermind about it for now).

Thanks,
Attilio