Two problems still present in RC3

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Fri Dec 9 09:13:38 UTC 2011

FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 is looking good, but I'm still encountering two problems.

Firstly, when I try to configure VLANs in /etc/rc.conf, I'm getting
errors. For example, if I use

vlans_re0="1 2"
ip_addrs_re0_1="192.168.0.1-4/16"
ip_addrs_re0_2="10.0.0.0/24"

to create two VLANs on the interface re0, I get error messages
saying that "create" commands (presumably using ifconfig) have
failed. The interfaces SEEM to be configured correctly, but the
messages -- which must be coming from scripts called by
/etc/netstart -- are troubling.

Secondly, there's still some strangeness in the sc terminal
emulation. When I run jove, the status line at the bottom of the
screen isn't entirely in reverse video as it should be. Only parts
of it are, and the highlighting changes -- seemingly at random -- as I work.

Neither of these is likely to be a showstopper (so long as the
first won't cause me networking problems I haven't observed yet),
but both are probably worth looking into.

--Brett Glass