Sporadic 9.0-RC2 boot-time panic

Mike Andrews mandrews at bit0.com
Tue Dec 6 02:39:38 UTC 2011

On 12/1/2011 6:03 PM, Mike Andrews wrote:
> On 11/28/11 5:48 PM, Ronald Klop wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:37:27 +0100, Mike Andrews <mandrews at bit0.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> *Sometimes* when booting 9.0-RC2 on *some* of my machines, I'll get
>>> one of the following two panics during multiuser startup, usually
>>> while running the /usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts. (The instruction
>>> pointer is always exactly one of these two, and they look fairly
>>> related.) If after two or three reboots it manages to not panic, the
>>> system will run perfectly stable.

FYI this is still happening on 9.0-RC3 -- r228247 to be precise.

It only seems to be happening on one particular model of motherboard
(Supermicro X8STi-F) but it is happening on several identical machines
with them -- running on several other (mostly Supermicro) boards is just
fine, including at least one with the exact same 82574L NICs.

Whoever's wanting to work on this, contact me off-list to get some more
up to date console logs and the kernel config.