r228152: anyone got the None cipher working with base OpenSSH?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Dec 3 01:22:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 05:51:03PM -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>wrote:
>
> >  If the WARNING message that is output to stderr
> > bothers you, use -T.
> >

> This says -T disables the NONE cipher:
>
> http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/none.php
>
> I haven't looked at current patches so maybe doesn't apply.

No, you're correct -- use of -T disables the none cipher.

I only checked actual packets (for plain-text) with tcpdump when testing
the above **without** -T.  I found that -T disabled the warning message;
well duh, because it disables the none cipher.

TL;DR -- my above message ("use -T to disable the warning") is
absolutely wrong.  The WARNING message to stderr, when a tty is
allocated, cannot be disabled to my knowledge -- the -n flag should
inhibit it, and I imagine this is intentional so that admins can use
-oCipher=none for backups on LANs, etc..

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |