r228152: anyone got the None cipher working with base OpenSSH?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 23:43:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> You also need to read README.hpn to understand fully how to get None
> cipher to work from the server AND client side, *AND* what the limits
> and caveats are.  There are changes you need to make to
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and there are *multiple* -o switches you will need
> to use with the client (e.g. ssh -oCipher=none -oNoneEnabled=yes
> -oNoneSwitch=yes).  If the WARNING message that is output to stderr
> bothers you, use -T.

Yeah, I've gone over all that.  We've been using the HPN patches and None
cipher via openssh-portable from ports for a couple years now.  Noticed the
HPN patches were added to the base OpenSSH, though, and thought I could use
that instead of the ports version, and ran into the "no None cipher" issue.

Thanks to the gentle prodding of Bjoern, I see that I missed the mention of
CFLAGS in the commit message, which is why it wasn't working for me.  :)
 I'm going to go with over-excitement due to too much coffee for this one.
 :)

I'm testing out the make.conf snippet you posted now.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com