Serial multiport error Oxford/Startech PEX2S952

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Aug 24 19:54:14 UTC 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 4:59 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>> It may also be interesting to try 9.x on a machine with a serial
>> port that operates directly with uart(4). Does stty(4) throw up
>> "isn't a terminal" errors against the .init and .lock devices
>> relating to those ports? I would try this myself, but am very short
>> of time at present.
>>

>> Though there is probably little more that I can add, please keep me
>> cc'd on all relevant e-mails, especially as I do not follow
>> freebsd-current.
>
> I'm CC'ing Marcel Moolenaar here, who's the author of uart(4), to help
> assist in this matter and shed some light on the above comments.  If
> there's a quirk or bug there, I'm certain he'll assist in helping.

There's no obvious problem in uart(4). The handling of *.init and
*.lock is all unified in the TTY layer.

Note that the typical scenario for uart(4) to not respect the
baud rate setting is when the UART port is a system device
(i.e. serial console or debug port). Make sure there's no
difference between 8.x and 9.x with respect to which ports
are declared as system ports.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar