bad sector in gmirror HDD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Aug 22 06:39:53 UTC 2011

On 2011-Aug-19 20:24:38 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>The reallocated LBA cannot be dealt with aside from re-creating the
>filesystem and telling it not to use the LBA.  I see no flags in
>newfs(8) that indicate a way to specify LBAs to avoid.  And we don't
>know what LBA it is so we can't refer to it right now anyway.
>
>As I said previously, I have no idea how UFS/FFS deals with this.

It doesn't.  UFS/FFS and ZFS expect and assume "perfect" media.  It's
up to the drive to transparently remap faulty sectors.  UFS used to
have support for visible bad sectors (and Solaris UFS still reserves
space for this, though I don't know if it still works) but the code
was removed from FreeBSD long ago.

AFAIR, wd(4) supported bad sectors but it was removed long ago.

--
Peter Jeremy