WD Advanced Format: do I need to do something special?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 18 09:55:39 UTC 2011

On 08/18/2011 02:17, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> The below advice still applies.  Do not skim the page, read it.
>
> http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/2011-01-01.freebsd-on-4k-sector-drives.html
>
> You will therefore have to go through some manual rigmarole (preferably
> with gpart(8)) to ensure performance.  If you plan on using the disks in
> ZFS, you get to go through some extra rigmarole.

I didn't know about such extra actions that are required and just
created ZFS pool.
zdb -C <mypool> shows ashift as 9. I read it as meaning that sector size
if 512bytes (wrong!).

But I tested the 25GB file writing/reading speed on the middle tracks
and it seems reasonable:
WR 55MB/s
RD 107MB/s

So can I get even better speeds if it was aware of 4k sector?

Yuri