panic: spin lock held too long (RELENG_8 from today)

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Thu Aug 18 00:01:11 UTC 2011

Quoth Jeremy Chadwick on Wednesday, 17 August 2011:

> > I'm also getting similar panics on 8.2-STABLE.  Locks up everything and I
> > have to power off.  Once, I happened to be looking at the console when it
> > happened and copied dow the following:
> >
> > Sleeping thread (tif 100037, pid 0) owns a non-sleepable lock
> > panic: sleeping thread
> > cpuid=1
>
> No idea, might be relevant to the thread.
>
> > Another time I got:
> >
> > lock order reversal:
> > 1st 0xffffff000593e330 snaplk (snaplk) @ /usr/src/sys/kern/vfr_vnops.c:296
> > 2nd 0xffffff0005e5d578 ufs (ufs) @ /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_snapshot.c:1587
> >
> > I didn't copy down the traceback.
>
> "snaplk" refers to UFS snapshots.  The above must have been typed in
> manually as well, due to some typos in filenames as well.
>
> Either this is a different problem, or if everyone in this thread is
> doing UFS snapshots (dump -L, mksnap_ffs, etc.) and having this problem
> happen then I recommend people stop using UFS snapshots.  I've ranted
> about their unreliability in the past (years upon years ago -- still
> seems valid) and just how badly they can "wedge" a system.  This is one
> of the many (MANY!) reasons why we use rsnapshot/rsync instead.  The
> atime clobbering issue is the only downside.

If I'm doing UFS snapshots, I didn't know it.  Yes, everything was copied
manually because it only displays on the console and the keyboard does
not respond after that point.  So I copied first to paper, then had to
decode my lousy handwriting to put it in an email.  Sorry for the scribal
errors.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterling at camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com