panic: spin lock held too long (RELENG_8 from today)

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 17 19:44:37 UTC 2011

Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <CAJ-FndCDOW0_B2MV0LZEo-tpEa9+7oAnJ7iHvKQsM4j4B0DLqg at mail.gmail.com>:

at> 2011/8/17 Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org>:
at> > Hi,
at> >
at> > Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote
at> >  in <4E15A08C.6090407 at sentex.net>:
at> >
at> > mi> On 7/7/2011 7:32 AM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
at> > mi> > On 7/7/2011 4:20 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:
at> > mi> >>
at> > mi> >> BTW, we had a similar panic, "spinlock held too long", the spinlock
at> > mi> >> is the sched lock N, on busy 8-core box recently upgraded to the
at> > mi> >> stable/8. Unfortunately, machine hung dumping core, so the stack trace
at> > mi> >> for the owner thread was not available.
at> > mi> >>
at> > mi> >> I was unable to make any conclusion from the data that was present.
at> > mi> >> If the situation is reproducable, you coulld try to revert r221937. This
at> > mi> >> is pure speculation, though.
at> > mi> >
at> > mi> > Another crash just now after 5hrs uptime. I will try and revert r221937
at> > mi> > unless there is any extra debugging you want me to add to the kernel
at> > mi> > instead  ?
at> >
at> >  I am also suffering from a reproducible panic on an 8-STABLE box, an
at> >  NFS server with heavy I/O load.  I could not get a kernel dump
at> >  because this panic locked up the machine just after it occurred, but
at> >  according to the stack trace it was the same as posted one.
at> >  Switching to an 8.2R kernel can prevent this panic.
at> >
at> >  Any progress on the investigation?
at>
at> Hiroki,
at> how easilly can you reproduce it?

 It takes 5-10 hours.  I installed another kernel for debugging just
 now, so I think I will be able to collect more detail information in
 a couple of days.

at> It would be important to have a DDB textdump with these informations:
at> - bt
at> - ps
at> - show allpcpu
at> - alltrace
at>
at> Alternatively, a coredump which has the stop cpu patch which Andryi can provide.

 Okay, I will post them once I can get another panic.  Thanks!

-- Hiroki