ZFS vs OSX Time Machine

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 19:33:18 UTC 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 12:17 PM, George Kontostanos wrote:
> I am using TM over smb on a ZFS Raidz1 pool of my fileserver with no problems whatsoever.
>
> NAME                          USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank/apple                   37.2G  82.8G  37.2G  /tank/apple
>
> Oldest backup 14 December 2009

SMB aka CIFS is a better choice than NFS, because it supports better locking (oplocks or "stealable" locks), but it is not as good as AFP for this particular purpose.  Also, ZFS isn't going to be as space efficient at storing TM backups compared with HFS+, because it doesn't support hard links to directories.

Regards,
--
-Chuck