Re: Network throughput: Never get more than 112MB/s über two NICs

Denny Schierz linuxmail at 4lin.net
Mon Apr 11 17:56:08 UTC 2011

Am 11.04.2011 um 16:20 schrieb Michael Loftis:

> Most switches load balance based on MAC addresses, not IP, unless it
> is routing the traffic as a Layer 3 switch then you can enable IP
> based load balancing in some of those.  Also you might simply be

that was the reason, why we disabled the loadbalancer and tested with plain NICs.

> reaching the limits of your firewall box too you haven't mentioned any
> of it's specs, nor do you seem to have run top while running the iperf
> tests.

The clients (who running iperf -c <ip>) had a load near zero, they are powerful machines  (Sun sparcs) with 8 cores and more. The machine, with 4 Cores (Xeon) who is running "iperf -s", had a load round about ~0.8.

No firewall etc. between the hosts, just plain network :-)

cu denny