resume slow on Thinkpad T42 FreeBSD 8-STABLE

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Sep 29 17:07:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:57:53AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Sep 29, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
> > The test run for 17 hours without any problems (or MCA messages),
>
> That part is good.  At least starting from normal operation, your laptop is running stably under load....
>
> > then I put the laptop for a 5 minute sleep, resumed the test, and after 30
> > minutes of it there are now two MCA messages in dmesg. Are they somehow
> > related, or is this a coincidence?
>
> I doubt repeated coincidences.  :-)  Is prime95 testing running stable after waking from sleep?

He's not running Prime95 (native Win32 app), he's running
ports/math/mprime under FreeBSD natively.  I don't know if this
application stresses hardware to the same degree Prime95 does; I've used
Prime95 many times to burn in new workstations.

The Thinkpad hardware he's on is """old""" (note the quotes), so I
wouldn't be surprised if the CPU (Intel Pentium M) happens to induce a
strange/odd MCA event as a result of going in/out of sleep state.  It
could be a general system bug of some sort as well (one which has no
repercussions).

Look at it this way: if his L1 cache was going bad, his system would be
freaking out doing literally anything (booting the kernel for example);
I'm under the impression Pentium M CPUs do not have ECC L1 cache.