resume slow on Thinkpad T42 FreeBSD 8-STABLE

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Sep 27 08:04:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Ted Faber wrote:
 > >
 > >  > Sorry, Ian, I don't have anything new, wrt the ATA.
 > >
 > > Thanks Ted.  Interesting that nobody else seems to have run into this
 > > issue, must be a (some?) Thinkpads thing ..
 >
 > FWIW, my Thinkpad T40 does the same thing on 8.1: after resume from S3
 > it's unusably slow (it takes seconds between a key is pressed and it's
 > displayed on screen), and then after a while it works ok.

That's interesting; since my original report last December I discovered
that same behaviour with 8.0-R.  During the 60s resume stall period, iff
I'd suspended from a VTY, I found I could slowly (like maybe 3 seconds
per character echoed) type a command, and some commands - possibly those
cached? as there's no HD access - would run after another few seconds.

In this way I discovered that 'date' commands reported the time some
seconds after the resume (perhaps hours ago, or yesterday) until the
stall ended, disk light flashed and normality resumed, sometimes with
"calcru: time went backwards .." messages, most often for devd.  Since
upgrading to 8.1-STABLE that clue? has gone; nothing typed is echoed.

Are you referring to 8.1-RELEASE or to 8-STABLE as at some date?

 > This has been like this in 7.0 too (except I don't know if it ever
 > recovered the speed; I remember shutting it down as soon as I saw how
 > slow it is).

That's a difference then; 7.0-R then 7.2-STABLE (late December, anyway)
had no such issues here on my T23.

When it clears up after a wet week and I have some spare power again
I'll try building a debug kernel, perhaps omitting and kldoading USB,
and do some more tests before reporting further, probably in mobile@
and acpi@ again.  I'll copy you and Ted when I do so.

Thanks, Ian