Failure to burn with ahci mode.

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Sep 26 10:40:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:53:01AM +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
> 2010/9/26 Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>:
> > on 26/09/2010 12:31 David DEMELIER said the following:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I posted this PR : http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/146464
> >>
> >> I can't burn with the optical drive, I can read it but not burn. When
> >> I try to use burncd it says
> >>
> >> acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SELECT_BIG timed out
> >>
> >> It's a
> >> Master: acd0 <hp DVDRAM GT20L/DC05> SATA revision 1.x
> >>     Slave:       no device present
> >>
> >> I would love to use ahci instead of ide since it's really faster. I
> >> don't know how I can help you more,
> >>
> >> FreeBSD Melon.malikania.fr 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #3: Sun Sep
> >> 26 10:15:10 CEST 2010
> >> root at Melon.malikania.fr:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Melon  amd64
> >
> > Try using ahci(4) driver.
> >
> > --
> > Andriy Gapon
> >

> That's what I'm doing.

If you were using the ahci(4) driver the optical drive ought to show up
as cd0 rather than acd0.

Anyway, I think burncd will only work with the old ata(4) driver.  The
new ahci(4) and ada(4) drivers use the cam(4) system and looks pretty
much like SCSI drives to the rest of the system.

Try the sysutils/cdrecord port for burning. (Should work with all SCSI
and ATAPI optical drives, regardless of which driver is used.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se