BIND9 built w/--disable-ipv6 on 8.1-STABLE

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Sep 22 20:01:50 UTC 2010

Hi--

On Sep 21, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Diane Bruce wrote:
[ ... ]
>> Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> If I'm still alive when IPv6 is the norm and IPv4 is the exception, I
>> promise to give it another look. :)
>
> IPv6 is more prevalent than you think. I can't understand the illogic of turning it off.

Well, I can't understand illogic either, but it's not too hard to obtain data about the issue and make rational decisions about IPv6 vs. IPv4 networking.  :-)

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-57/presentations/Colitti-Global_IPv6_statistics_-_Measuring_the_current_state_of_IPv6_for_ordinary_users_.7gzD.pdf

Quoting from page 5:

"* 0.238% of users have useful IPv6 connectivity (and prefer IPv6)
 * 0.09% of users have broken IPv6 connectivity
   That is, adding an AAAA record will make these users unable to view your site"

Approximately 2 or 3 users per thousand prefer IPv6, and approximately 38% of these IPv6 users have broken connectivity, as of [2008].

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: Taken from a NetBSD thread here: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2009/12/04/msg001762.html