source tree out of sync

Pascal Stumpf Pascal.Stumpf at cubes.de
Tue Sep 21 16:58:50 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 21 September 2010 15:45:54 Gareth de Vaux wrote:
> On Tue 2010-09-21 (11:31), Gareth de Vaux wrote:
> > I assume I can't do this safely if my /usr/src tree has been
> > updated since my last make world?
>
> Well, doesn't look like it's an issue for me in this instance.

For the record: It would not be a problem at all, at least in this
particular case: You’re only patching and reinstalling bzip2, which
hasn’t had a commit for ages except this one security patch.

See: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/bzip2/

You’re not touching any other system component, so the date of your
/usr/src checkout is not an issue. You could even csup the most recent
version instead of applying the patch manually and then recompile bzip2
only.

Cheers,
Pascal