HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Tue Sep 21 13:54:18 UTC 2010

Hi Willem Jan Withagen!

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:59:46 +0200; Willem Jan Withagen wrote about 'Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon':

> I'm a FreeBSD user as early as 1993, still have the first 1.0 CD here as
> nice remembrance. So I guess that I qualify as one of those "old
> FreeBSD" users.
> And I completely disagree with you.
> If you have been such an old freebsd user,then you should know the
> immense effort there has been to move GIANT out of the way. I cann't
> even get close to describing what a huge respect I have for the people
> that dared to undertake such a humongous effort. With an high
> probability of being flamed to death...
> But still ever since 5.x I've seen things really improve for the better.
> And yes, I was sorry to see ISDN being removed, but as things have
> progressed another version has been returned instead.
> And sure I have more hardware than you can imagine that is no longer
> supported. But it is all old, and worn down, sometimes it is even still
> VESA stuff.
> And right,there have been variations in the level of what you would like
> to call stable. But compared to the "old days" I would say, it has
> always been above my expectation. And note that I have and still do run
> 24*7 business on this. FreeBSD has never NEVER ever let me down.

That's for you. For me. For a lot of people. But when I see, in my circles,
some old users - not any Linux newbies we shouldn't care, but old and
skilled users - leaving or talking about where to go from FreeBSD, than you
shouldn't ignore the facts. You should say that something, um, smells wrong.

> So as far as I'm concerned you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Even if you, while investigating for a bug, eventually find that it was not
a bug, but during the search discover another bug, that is not the reason to
fix the latter. This thread, to this moment, has one practical statement:
calls for volunteers and other major notifications should go to announce@,
perhaps to Web site, too, perhaps clarified how people can help with money
or to hire something to work on the code. And that will make the FreeBSD
Project better. So, not to flame more, do you disagree with this?

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]